Saturday, October 3, 2009

This first island - Oahu

We started out by landing in Honolulu. The hotel was nice and about 3 blocks from the beach.



We were also within walking distance of the International Market. The first day we did a trolley tour that tours around and will drop you off at certain spots along the way. One of spots was the Iolani Palace - the ONLY palace left in the states.




Across from there was the statue of King Kamehameha I.


After seeing lots of sights, we went out for dinner that night at Hy's for our 25th wedding anniversary celebration and B&Y treated! It was a WONDERFUL meal.

After renting a car, B, Y and I went to Diamond Head and climbed it (Dan couldn't, his back was hurting too much after yesterday's trolley ride). I don't know how I did it but I DID (I thought I was going to die though). B&Y were very good about stopping every once in a while, so I could rest up. But it was all worth it when I got to the top! I’m as pink as my shirt!!!


The following day we went to Hanauma Bay and the guys went snorkeling. After a while I decided to check out the water too. I don’t normally go in swimming (don’t like to get cold and wet) but the water was quite warm so it wasn’t too bad. Dan offered to show me how to snorkel and surprised him by taking to it quite quickly! I was THRILLED to be able to see all kinds of fish right there even though the water wasn’t even over my head! Unfortunately, I don’t have any photos of them because we didn’t have a camera we could use under-water BUT stayed tuned….I bought one later on!



The next day took us to Pearl Harbor – this was something we all wanted to see. There is a 45 minute film (I learned a LOT watching this film) plus a museum to browse through while you wait for the boat to take you out to the memorial.



That afternoon we went to Turtle Beach. The tides were too high to go swimming but you could see the turtles in the surf. I tried to get some photos but I got sunscreen in my eyes and I could hardly see a thing to take photos. The photos I DID take were all of the sky. Sigh…..

The next day we were off to Kauai…..

No comments:

Post a Comment