Sunday, October 4, 2009

Big Island - part 2

After snorkelling and on the way back to the hotel, Y and I spotted a local craft sale just up the road from our hotel, so the guys dropped us off. Wow – some wonderful crafts and Hawaiian products from local artisans!

Along the way, we also passed by Hawaii's very first church.

That night we decided to eat at the restaurant at our hotel because they had a special on. For $40 you got a meal for two that INCLUDED a bottle of wine! Great! Most of our meals so far had been a bit expensive (everything is expensive in Hawaii since they have to import most things in). We had a great meal and our server (Carolyn from the Philippines) was the sweetest lady.

Monday took us to Honoka’a which was half way to our destination and I got to shop at a scrapbooking store – YAY! They had some exclusive (to their store) Hawaiian papers and diecuts. I was a good girl and didn’t spend much money (or time) in this store.

From there it was off to the World Botanical Gardens and Umauma Falls. First you go to the falls and then to the rain forest and then to the gardens. ALL very nice but it was VERY hot that day.

Tuesday we decided to go to a local coffee farm and take a tour. It was a short tour (and free) but very informative. And of course, there was plenty of coffee to sample.

By this time it was getting close to lunch, so we asked our tour guide if there was somewhere close for a good lunch. She recommended “the Coffee Shack” for its home baked bread and desserts and its SPECTACULAR views. So we tried it out – WOW – she sure was right about the view!

The food was good too and we also had this little fellow come for a visit…..anyone want to buy some insurance? LOL!

We spent most of the afternoon on the patio – I tried a pina colada (hmmmm - it was ok but I like my margaritas better)….and then got ready for dinner. We heard good things about a place up the road at another hotel. One of their specials was ono (fish) stuffed with shrimp and covered with lobster sauce, so I tried that – ohhhhhhhh momma! Was it GOOD! We also had the NICEST server. What a doll! When I thanked her at the end of the meal and told her it was our last night in Hawaii, she gave me a big hug! What a sweetheart!

Our last day in Hawaii…..sigh….We didn’t have to check out until noon, so I spent the morning packing and catching up on some photos that I wanted to take of our hotel.

Four flights and almost a full day later, we finally arrived home. Tired but happy that we had SUCH a wonderful trip!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - your hotel looks lovely. I am not so sure about the ono - I think I'd pass ... But I am sure there was lots of other choices too. The falls and the rainforest would be a hilight for sure.